Traverse City is home to a Midwest traditional Spring mountain bike festival. Just 5 years old, this event has all of the best features of a great mountain bike event. Held at the Mount Holiday Ski and recreation area, the event uses loops that form a 12 mile and 24 mile course.
Our new Redline mountain bike race Matt Acker was racing on the Redline D880 and placed second in the Pro men’s category. What a great start—way to go Matt! Team Redline wishes to thank all of our Co-Sponsors—Voler, Fastsigns, FSA, Nova Tech, Kool Stop, KMC and Prologo.

Here is Mr. Ackers narrative of the race:

Mud, Sweat and Beers has only been around for a few years now, but the annual event in Traverse City has become a big draw for the early season and hits the 750 rider cap early on. The Pro/Elite field competes in the “stout” distance which is around 22 miles and features a massive hill at the start/finish dubbed “Willpower Hill” which is also known as Heart Attack Hill. The majority of the race takes place on VASA singletrack and is rolling terrain. As in past years, it’s full throttle right off the gun for the first few miles to Willpower Hill. I managed to stay near the front and out of trouble to arrive in the second position at the base of the climb. Jorden threw in an attack at the base of the climb and I chose to stay in the saddle and on the power to stay close. As we emerged from the top of the hill, third position was out of sight and we stayed on the gas through a short section of pavement in the neighborhood. Jorden entered first into the singletrack with about a 5 second gap and continued to pull away in the greasy mess. The conditions were less than ideal; just over 40 degrees and steady to hard rain throughout the entire race. The black soft dirt and leaves made for an exciting ride in the narrow winding singletrack. Every time I tried to push the pace just a bit harder into turns I was quickly reminded of how slick it was and just how close the trees were. Jorden maintained a healthy gap for the rest of the race, and I pushed it where I could but kept in mind that it’s still early in the year and there’s a lot of racing to go. After an hour and 23 minutes I rolled through the mud pit at the finish and quickly found a fire pit to warm up next to. Jorden finished about 2 minutes up on me, and third place rolled in about 2 minutes behind me. All in all it was a good start to the MTB race season and I’ll look forward to lining up at the next big event!